Monday, October 11, 2010

Mi chiamo Melissa, sono Italo-americana, e ho freddo.



First Italian Train Ticket

This weeks are flying by! I can hardly believe I am into my fifth week abroad...This past week was by far the craziest and best week I have had yet.  The high point of my week was a trip to Pescara with my girlfriends on Thursday. After school, we went to lunch and I had my first (of what is sure to be many) kebab. I cant explain what makes this sandwhich so delicious, but I think it may have something to do with the magical Italian food ingredients they use...I seriously believe it is impossible for the Italians to cook something that is not delicious (one disclaimer, Antonella cooked Sardines last week and I did NOT find those tasty...).  This sandwhich consists of fresh lamb meat right off the spit, mayo, ketchup, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and bun right out of the oven. Delicious. Then we bought our train tickets, which only cost 3.5 Euros each way, and got on the train.  The ride was only a hour long, but when we got off the train, it was clear something had changed.  It no longer felt like I was the obligatory American guest who was following around this group of close knit friends; we had clicked during the train ride and were starting to become friends.  We were sharing secrets and gushing about boys and making fun of my awful Italian skills. It was a fantastic feeling and I felt a lot less homesick Thursday night.  It was the first time I felt like I would be sad if I left here right now...don't get me wrong, Antonella and Giovanni and the boys are wonderful, and I would be sad to leave them as well, but they couldn't fill the huge void I felt from leaving my family and friends and native language in America on their own.  I needed the companionship of girls my own age.  Anyways, back to Pescara...Pescara feels much different from San Benedetto and is in the Abruzzo region, further south than the Marche region. Pescara and San Benedetto are rival cities in many aspects...their football (American soccer teams) rival eachother and the residents of both towns are constantly arguing over which town is superior. Traditionally, it was home to the gypsies and, according to Antonella, gypsies still reside in the area surronding the central city.  I was told numerous times to watch my pockets and my bag, because the gypsies are notorious for pick pocketing.  The city center itself, though, is very commercialized and there is even a H&M! I, of course, found something to buy at the H&M making it my first Italian clothing purchase :) (Antonella bought me a goregous suede purse earlier this month, meaning I now have an entire 'Italian' outift :) After shopping, we got some coffee (I think I am addicted), met up with some boys, and then caught the train back home.  The ride back was just as fun as the way there, and I went home exhausted but grateful for having found such great friends.


School Strike

Friday was another first for me as a school wide strike took place in the Centre.  I didn't take part in the parade part of the strike, but once it reached the centre, we all gathered around to listen.  I understood nothing they were saying, but I understood the general idea: they want to go to school less. It was interesting to observe and take part in another part of the Italian culture.  I spent the rest of the day at the open air market (where I luckily found a vendor who sells English books and is willing to help me order which ever ones I would like!) and then was picked up by Antonella, who took me out to eat at a Macrobiotica ristorante...Another unforgettable cultural experience.  This restaurant actually stemmed from a way of life for some people in traditionally Japanese cultures and cancer patients (so I am told...I researched the latter part, and it is used as a mean for cancer treatment...I learn something everyday!)  Regardless, the restaurant only serves very plain, very bland food...the use of salt or other seasonings is prohibited, as well as using foods that have natural flavor... They do not believe in using knifes because it disturbs the balance between food and man, and there are a ton of other 'rules'.  For this lunch I ate: white rice in water with carrots; steamed cabbage; plain lettuce; a large brown piece of something (no flavor so I am not sure what); and beans.  It wasn't a bad meal, but I was starving three hours later...so I had some gelato to counteract the healthiness:)

Sara's Birthday
Saturday was also a bunch of fun:) After school (I will never get used to school on Saturday), I went with Elvira and Sara to get our make-up done.  Afterwards, we went to Sara's house, had pizza and french fries, and danced for a while.  One of Sara's friends DJs for fun and it was interesting talking to him about the American songs.  I told him about some songs that are popular in America, but haven't made Italy yet and he was so grateful.  At about midnight, we headed to the disco, had a blast there, and then I slept at Sofia's house.  She has the largest dog I have ever seen! It could put its chin on the table without even trying! It was adorable.  We spent all of Sunday afternoon watching movies with English subtitles (score!) and then meet the girls in the Centre. I had some gelato, but am very sad because the Cuore Matto is no longer available :( It was a summer flavor and now we are well into fall.  That is one thing I wanted to add: it is freezing here.  I have been living in my winter jacket, sweats, three pairs of socks, and a scarf.  More than half of my class has caught colds, and unfortunately I think I have one too.  I can't believe how quickly it turned from decent weather to freezing cold! (It was only 12C this morning!)



Making Smores

Last two things: first, I am so so grateful for Skype. Technology is a beautiful thing.  Second, my package with the marshmellows finally arrived! Valerio and Francesco were beside themselves with excitement and they absolutely love them! We made smores last night, and at first they were a bit skeptical about the legitimacy of roasting the marshmellows, adding Nutella (we had no chocolate), and a graham cracker, but once they tried them, they were hooked! They are begging me to make them again, so now I am off to start a fire:) (not really...just turn on the gas stove :)






Kebab


3 comments:

  1. Hey there Mel,
    ok, so we used microsoft translator to translate your title, and came up with "My name is Melissa, I'm American and I Italio-cold"

    Do you need us to send you some more clothes? 12 degrees is really cold!!

    Boise just dropped from 80 or so to 64 today with the chance of freezing temps tonight in the mid 20's to 30's.

    Maybe some of those hand warmers Uncle Steve uses for hunting would help.

    Loved your description of your week and again, are very excited for you. Alex kept reading over my shoulder, he's very interested in seeing what you are up to.

    Stay warm.

    Love you,
    aunty M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it was close:) It actually says, my name is melissa, i am italian-american, and I am cold.

    I am figuring out the clothing situaion slowly:) I think tomorrow I will go pick up some warm clothes from the market. And ouch! That is cold! I guess uncle steve might get the snow he wants sooner than later:)

    Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed it. Hope you have a great week as well!

    Love,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally read you're new blog, very interesting about how they will strike over anything. Also so happy the boys like the smores
    Love you,
    Nana

    ReplyDelete